This season I was fortunate to be able to attend Utah Symphony performances in Salt Lake City and one of my favorites was Dvořák’s “New World” Symphony. I saw a number of guest conductors and artists present wonderful performances by Mozart, Dvořák, Rachmaninoff and Smetana, and I was particularly moved by Mahler’s 2nd Symphony in the Salt Lake Tabernacle led by Keith Lockhart. The 2009-10 season was remarkable, and the 2010-11 season promises even more!
I am amazed that more than 130 Ballet West dancers came together to present a showcase of seven works in a mere 60 minutes. Ballet West not only Dares Us To Dream, it encourages bringing every would-be dancer’s dream to life. The hour long Gala was a celebration of dance and music. How lucky we are to have these artists encouraging us to “let go” and be enchanted for an evening.
In October, the Boston Symphony Orchestra presented all nine Beethoven Symphonies, a cycle not performed by the BSO since Serge Koussevitzky programmed it in 1927 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Beethoven’s death. This year, Maestro James Levine presented his first complete Beethoven cycle at Boston’s Symphony Hall. They were amazing!
More Ballet West Articles
- 21 Oct 2011Ballet West’s Easton Smith Thirsts for Roles Like DraculaI love the depth that the character Dracula has. I love the... 5 Comments
- 11 Jun 2010Ballet West Academy’s Spring Performance Displays a Rich Garden of TalentThe first dance of the Ballet West Academy Spring Performanc... 4 Comments
- 28 Dec 2009Ballet West’s Nutcracker Delights GenerationsDecember is a wonderful time to go to the ballet. At no othe... 4 Comments
- 11 May 2010The Brilliance of Ballet West and Balanchine’s AmericaAs the curtain raised for Ballet West’s Serenade, the first... 3 Comments
- 24 Feb 2010Ballet West’s Swan Lake Simply StunningAs Ballet West’s Artistic Director, Adam Sklute takes an ide... 2 Comments
- 03 Nov 2011Ballet West’s Dracula is Fang-tastic!When it comes to season openers, you’ll be hard pressed to f... 2 Comments
- 26 Oct 2011Ballet West’s Dracula Chills, Thrills and Makes You Beg for MoreSome people think that going to the ballet really sucks! But... 2 Comments
- 12 Nov 2010Ballet West in Perfect Form with Carmina Burana, The Four TemperamentsBallet West opened its 2010-2011 season with George Balanchi...
- 09 Jul 2012Ballet West’s Breaking Pointe: Did the CW Get it Right?Six episodes. How do you hook a summer audience on a show a...
- 15 Feb 2013Ballet West’s Cinderella Enchants and DelightsWe all know the story of Cinderella; the lonely, oft-abused...
- Ballet West’s Cinderella Enchants and Delights
- Ballet West’s Breaking Pointe: Did the CW Get it Right?
- Listen Up Verizon, TMobile and Sprint, a Sea Change is Coming…
- NOH8 Campaign Comes Out to Salt Lake City
- What’s the Buzz? Ted Neeley and Jesus Christ Superstar Have Heaven on Their Minds in Park City