If you’re a fan of 80’s metal, you no doubt remember TNT. But if you have no idea who TNT is, here’s a little history lesson from the days when bands had long, flowing hair, wore skin-tight pants, had legions of women falling at their feet, and had songs that ruled the airwaves and MTV.
TNT, a Norwegian rock/glam metal band, formed in 1982. It rose to popularity when in 1984 American singer Tony Harnell became its lead singer and TNT released its second album “Knights of New Thunder”. The album was a great success in Norway and TNT was offered a deal with Mercury/Polygram Records in the U.S. In 1985, “Knights” was released in the U.S. and in the era of “I want my MTV”, TNT’s music video Seven Seas was frequently played on MTV, bringing TNT’s sound and look to audiences worldwide.
In 1987, TNT recorded a new album, which produced TNT’s hit single 10,000 Lovers In One. With Harnell at the helm, TNT released a dozen albums, including live recordings in Tokyo and Madrid.
While still with TNT, in 2004 Harnell formed Starbreaker with guitarist Magnus Karlsson (Allen/Lande, Primal Fear), bassist Fabrizio Grossi (GlennHughes, House of Lords), and drummer John Macaluso (Malmsteen, TNT, Ark). Starbreaker released its self-titled debut album in 2005 and with Harnell and Macaluso both of TNT, the album received worldwide acclaim, particularly with its already built-in fan base.
In 2006, Harnell left TNT, taking time to spend with family and to work on projects, including Starbreaker’s second album, “Love’s Dying Wish”. Harnell said, “We all love this album. I think it’s another example of blending the old school sound with something brand new and it’s probably the darkest album I have ever done. In saying that, though, it is quite beautiful in its darkness.”
New to Starbreaker is bassist Jonni Lightfoot who replaced Fabrizio Grossi. Lightfoot is a touring and recording veteran with extensive credits to his name, including his own CDs Copper Street Fair, Pendulum and Blu.
“Jonni has been a great addition to the project!,” said Harnell. “With his aggressive yet tastefully melodic playing, warm tone and flawless technique, not to mention his goofy sense of humor, he fits in perfectly!”
Lightfoot added, “Joining the band has been a dream come true. Tony is one of my favorite singers of all time, and getting the chance to work with him is amazing! Magnus and John are also top notch musicians and it’s an honor for me to play with all these guys. When I got the call to do the album I was very giddy. I have always wanted to do an album like ‘Love’s Dying Wish’”.
Frontiers Records says, “‘Love’s Dying Wish’ is a very special album that progresses from where the Starbreaker debut left off. With a fresh diversity that spans from pounding metal, to deep moody passages wrapped in a dark and beautifully melodic package. The stunning talents of Harnell and Karlsson are on display in spades with electrifying performances and stellar song writing. These two have truly developed a unique and timeless sound together. Simply brilliant, ‘Love’s Dying Wish’ is going to blow away both old and new fans.”
Written and produced by Harnell and Karlsson, the album was mixed by producer Tommy Hansen (TNT, Jorn, Pretty Maids, Helloween).
“Love’s Dying Wish” includes the tracks End Of Alone; Evaporate; Love’s Dying Wish; Unknown Superstar; Hide; Building A Wall; Beautiful Disaster; Live Your Life; Hello, Are You Listening?; Changes Me; The Day Belongs To Us; and This Close.
Released in Europe on August 1st, 2008, “Love’s Dying Wish” is expected to be released in the U.S. on November 18th, 2008.
“Love’s Dying Wish” has received fantastic reviews since its European release:
“Tony Harnell stands alongside Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson and Geoff Tate as one of the most talented singers of all time”
“There simply are no secondary songs. Every track is a winner and the ones with seemingly less melodic drive are perfect foil for the songs that follow and in their own way have embedded melodies that grow on you with time, showing the true depth of the material here.”
“A good mixture of Melodic Rock/Metal with a breeze of Gothic and bombastic elements.”
“Beautiful harmonies combined with heavy tunes are making this record a must-have for every single melodic Fan!”
“Once again a killer album with a killer title song! If you don’t buy this record: shame on you!”
“Big, rhythmic guitar riffs, exciting solos and huge melodies with a perfect sound.”
ROCK IT magazine
“Awesome record, the title track is destined to become a classic!”
Tony Harnell’s vocals blow me away and Jonni Lightfoot is an energetic and gifted guitarist who is a great addition to Starbreaker. I’ve never listened to anything like “Love’s Dying Wish” and wasn’t familiar with Harnell or TNT. After hearing Harnell’s superb melodies and somewhat haunting evocation, I am flooded by a new sense of musicality. “Love’s Dying Wish” deserves, and has, Four stars (Tony, Magnus, John and Jonni)!
Face Book: Tony Harnell
ReverbNation: Tony Harnell
Read Tony’s interview by MelodicRock.com here.
Photos courtesy of Tony Harnell and Jonni Lightfoot.
More Ballet West Articles
- 21 Oct 2011Ballet West’s Easton Smith Thirsts for Roles Like DraculaI love the depth that the character Dracula has. I love the... 5 Comments
- 28 Dec 2009Ballet West’s Nutcracker Delights GenerationsDecember is a wonderful time to go to the ballet. At no othe... 4 Comments
- 11 Jun 2010Ballet West Academy’s Spring Performance Displays a Rich Garden of TalentThe first dance of the Ballet West Academy Spring Performanc... 4 Comments
- 11 May 2010The Brilliance of Ballet West and Balanchine’s AmericaAs the curtain raised for Ballet West’s Serenade, the first... 3 Comments
- 24 Feb 2010Ballet West’s Swan Lake Simply StunningAs Ballet West’s Artistic Director, Adam Sklute takes an ide... 2 Comments
- 03 Nov 2011Ballet West’s Dracula is Fang-tastic!When it comes to season openers, you’ll be hard pressed to f... 2 Comments
- 26 Oct 2011Ballet West’s Dracula Chills, Thrills and Makes You Beg for MoreSome people think that going to the ballet really sucks! But... 2 Comments
- 09 Jul 2012Ballet West’s Breaking Pointe: Did the CW Get it Right?Six episodes. How do you hook a summer audience on a show a...
- 15 Feb 2013Ballet West’s Cinderella Enchants and DelightsWe all know the story of Cinderella; the lonely, oft-abused...
- 12 Nov 2010Ballet West in Perfect Form with Carmina Burana, The Four TemperamentsBallet West opened its 2010-2011 season with George Balanchi...
- Ballet West’s Cinderella Enchants and Delights
- Ballet West’s Breaking Pointe: Did the CW Get it Right?
- Listen Up Verizon, TMobile and Sprint, a Sea Change is Coming…
- NOH8 Campaign Comes Out to Salt Lake City
- What’s the Buzz? Ted Neeley and Jesus Christ Superstar Have Heaven on Their Minds in Park City